Thursday, February 02, 2006

Why did you do that?


Why do I draw half naked women, and ugly monsters? This is a question that some may ask me or some may think and not ask. Hopefully this will give some answers to friends, family, or interested factions.
Women are one of God's greatest creations. They are our nurtures, life givers. They are powerful yet delicate at the same time. I suppose that's why I love drawing them. I want to show them being powerful, attractive, and soft. The female body is a work of art. Some artist and art viewers can look at still life or abstract art and be amazed by it. I am amazed by women. I am amazed at the curves the delicacy, and how such a soft package can be very deadly. Women are what inspire me and influence my imagination.
The only other thing that has as much influence on me is the King of all Monsters...Godzilla. As a child growing up I'm not sure what it was about Godzilla that I was drawn to. Maybe it was the cool scream/roar he does. Maybe it was the destruction he caused. I was hooked from the start. Dinosaurs mythical dragons and beasts, they are wonderous creatures. I've heard it before, "Draw what you know". I may not know a lot of things but I know I love monsters, creatures and women. Creature design amazes me to the core. Maybe it's the curiosity of wondering if this creature really exists. What would it look like if it had this or that.
My mom would love for me to paint portraits or murals or landscapes. These are great and I love and admire the beauty of them. But it doesn't give me that spark. Alphonse Mucha, Gil Elvgren, and many others have wowed me with how amazingly beautiful women can be represented. I can only hope that my work may show someone else that. Maybe in a humorous way, but women of all shapes and sizes are wonderful beings we are lucky to inhabit this planet with. So since graduating high school in 1989 I decided (vaguely) to draw mostly babes and beasts.
It's what I like, so there.

No comments: