Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Autobot Step by Step

A good friend asked if I could airbrush Arcee of the transformers on a black Tee for her. So here's how I did it.

Step 1: Gather reference, 2 good pics of Arcee and my own autobot T-Shirt for the logo.


Step2: I do a light sketch of the autobot logo on the back of the Tee


Step3: I proceed to airbrush the entire autobot logo in white. I use masking tape on edges where needed to ensure a straight crisp edge.


Step4: I got carried away in my work and forgot to take a few inbetween shots here. It's my first step by step gimme a break. But I airbrushed blue fading into the white. Then did the same with pink on the lower half of the logo. I added a bit of black to the top of the pink for the contrast. I then went back with white and added the highlights.


Step5: Now it's time to do Arcee on the front of the Tee.


Step6: I do a light white pencil sketch of Arcee on the front of the tee.


Step7: Proceed to airbrushing most of her in white layering the white in some areas so the pink will pop more when done.


Step8: Here I begin to add the pink then put in some black line for details and begin to hint where my highlights will go.


Step9: Time to add some blue for shadow areas and for the eyes. I also go back with black and start to finish off the detailing.


Step10: Now it's time to finish her off with highlights and add some cosmic starry effects in the background.


Step11: Ready to be heat set my job is complete and ready to be delivered to a happy fellow Transformer fan. "Arcee gracing the front and the Autobot Logo gracing her back.

3 comments:

Kate Bradley said...

wow...how much does an air brush kit cost?? Id love to give it a try. But damn it dont look easy thats for sure!

RaySee Art said...

Thanks for the good words. Airbrushing isn't easy as it looks it takes lots of practice and confidence. If you're new and wanna try it out start small. Airbrush kits can range from 50 bucks and higher depending where you go. A good compressor can go 80 bucks or more. The best thing to do is research it before you invest. Check out airbrush.com and airbrush art and action magazine for starters. Love what you do and do it.
Ray

Ivan Godinez said...

hey whats up. got to tell you i enjoy checking out step by step the process when you air-brush,nice. good luck